Blanco County Schools

(most information on these pages is from Heritage of Blanco County by the Blanco County News, 1987)

Live Oak School and it's Precursor:  

A few miles west of Blanco, high on a bluff overlooking the Blanco River is a small rock building dating back to 1858, most likely one of the first rock structures in this locality.  It's age is attested to by the method of its construction, the walls of hand chisel and mallet-shaped field stone, with caliche (adobe mud) laid between the layers, showing the absence of lime.  The rafters, door and window lintels are made of hand-hewn cedar logs, the building having four single windows with slab shutters, a fireplace and one door.

Today, this building 18 ft x 20 feet, is dwarfed eve more by the mott of giant live oaks which surround the location.

The structure itself began as a Methodist church, but as the community grew and new settlers moved int, the need of a school became imperative.   Early in 1860s clases in the three R's were begun here.  The school was here until 1891, when a new and larger school was built several miles away and was known as the Live Oak School, a building of "board" construction, which has long since been torn down.

Post Oak School:

Eight miles on 290 west from Johnson City FM1120 to Sandy, the McDougal Crossing of the Pedernales introduces one to the Post Oak area and next to the Roughrock ranches before coming to the Sandy Community.

In the early 1870s, a man named Pinkney Hickson came to Texas and bought land several miles north near where FM 1631 intersects FM 1320. This is now known as the Post Oak Community. After much consideration, he and his neighbors decided on a central location for a church, school and cemetery, with Mr. Hickson, himself, donating two and half acres of land for the new project.  One building was used for both church and school as had been the practice in two previous buildings used, one a log cabin and the other a frame building.

Since the consolidation of the school in the late 1930s with Johnson City school, the schoolhouse still is an important center for community activities and has been renovated under the auspices of the Post Oak Community Club.


Old Rock Schoolhouse:

Located on the Jo Nell Tinson ranch, 5 miles west of Blanco on the Blanco River, the name was derived from the fact that the buildng was of large quarried rock from the Blanco River. Mrs. Tinson has restored the roof and mortar in the rocks, and the building looks the same as it did about 1858 when it was new. It stands under the oak trees, a few yards south of the river where FM 1888 turns of of FM 1623.

Built on the land grant of Rev. Samuel Johnson from the State of   Texas, the building had very small openings but no windows and had wooden shutters to close from inside.  Not surprising when you consider it was first built as a refuge from Indian attacks.  A fireplace provided heat in the windter and the students sat on homemade benches and held their books in their laps.  County records show 27 students attended Rock Schoolhouse in 1880.  Trustees were W.L. Carleton, W.C. York, and James Kimberough.  Three of the last teachers to serve were Miss Tillie House, Mrs. Martha Eaton and Anda Baughman.

The old Rock School is now securely closed, its memories locked inside.


Rocky School and Church:

The land designated March 31, 1884, a school was built where the Rocky Community Church now stands. Much of the now existing building was the original structure. Names of some of the students which attended are listed on a plaque in what is now the Rocky Community Church.  Teachers for the years 1891-1896 are; Clarence Brigham, John R. Cabaniss, Herbert Davis and Tom Stubbs. Students were Ettie, Daisy, Annie and Cleve Aten; Charlie, Lena, Oscar, Liddie, Bertha and Otto Boehm; Beulah, Hiram and Edna Brown; Lela, Collingsworth, Anne, Claudia, and Charlie Collins; Mary, Dora and Annie Danalds?; Josie, Mart, Jim, and Lily Davis; Mary, John and another boy Diehl; Ada, Elmos, Archie, and Mrytle Dodd; Mamie Farmer, Tom Whitney, Lizzie, Virgie, Garvin, joe, Ed, Rosie, and Dave Felps; Fannie Greggs, Zora, Clara, Bud and Barney Hines; Jennie Keyser; Olga and Emelie Knecoy; Jack, Ferank, Will and Anne Jack; Virgie and Lily Maddox; Dora, Ella, Maggie, Lit and Ben Moore; Robert (Bob) Moss; Garland Phillips; Herman and Freda Raddak; Georgia and Jake Roundtree; Nora, Gertie, May, Guy, and Bulah Roundtree; Wiley and John Sanders; John, Max and Wilks Shipp; Rena Stover; Lizzie Summeral; Ed, John, Annie, Gora, and Lafayette Townsley; Asa, Lee, Charlie and Joe Hermann; Carma, John, Maggie, and Ludy White;  Arnold, Rob, John, Louis and George Winkleman; and Charlie Woods.

Many renovations were done thanks to Douglas Arnold  who cleaned up the old school/church, electricity installed, the floor replaced, and later carpet added down the center aisle and across the pulpit.  Mr. and Mrs. Louis Lindig, provided the pews to replace the old school desks.  Several rooms were added on the south side of the building for the use of Sunday School classes. Brother Leon Hudson was at the Rocky Church for about two years and then began a work in Johnson City. In 1956, Brother Joe D.Jones became the pastor and continued until 1986 at least.


Return to Blanco County