Exciting Stories from 1908
submitted by Julie Coley

  Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > January > 21

Walk Through The Cemetery

An exchange says – Take a walk through the cemetery alone and you will pass the last resting place of a man who blew into the muzzle of a gun to see if it was loaded. A little further down the slope is a crank who tried to show how close to a moving train he could stand while it passed. While strolling about you see the monument of the hired girl who tried to start the fire with kerosene and a grass covered knoll that covers the boy who put a cob under a mule’s tale. That tall shaft over a man who blew out the gas casts a shadow across the grave of a boy who tried to get on a moving train. Side by side the ethereal creature who always had her corset laced on the last hole and the intelligent idiot who rode a bicycle nine miles in ten minutes, sleep unmolested. At repose is a doctor who took a dose of his own medicine. There with the top of a shoe box driven over his head is a rich old man who married a young wife. Away over there reposes a boy who went fishing on Sunday, and the woman who kept strychnine powders in the cupboard. The man who stood in front of the mowing machine to oil the sickle is quiet now and rests beside the careless brakeman who fed himself to the 70 ton engine, and over in the potter’s field may be seen the bleached bones of a man who tried to whip the editor.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > January > 28

Finger Cut Off

T.W. Scott, an employee at Libbey and Bellamy’s shop on Ohio Avenue , suffered a painful injury today. While working with a saw in some manner his right hand came in contact with the teeth and the first finger was severed just above the second joint. Dr. Miller dressed the wound.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > January > 29

The 12 year old son of C.W. Huey was seriously burned several days ago while making candy at his home across the Denver tracks. As the boy was stirring the melted sugar in the pan, it flew up in his face, causing severe burns. He was burnt about the eyes and it is not yet certain that his eyesight will not be affected by the injury.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > January > 20


Logan Suddith Expelled the Amphibian Alive and Died From Shock


  Story of One of the Strangest Happenings Ever Recorded – Frog Lived in Man’s Stomach for Months

  The following dispatch clipped from the Columbus ( Ind. ) Republican relates to a brother of W.H. Suddith of this city who is now visiting relatives in Oklahoma .

Lincoln, Neb. , Jan. 3 – Logan Suddith, aged sixty two, died here today from having a live frog in his stomach. He visited his daughter, Mrs. Ida Stevenson, near Richmond , Ind. , during the summer of 1906 and while drinking from a spring he swallowed a live frog. The frog was expelled from his stomach today alive and he died from the shock.

Logan Suddith the man mentioned in the above dispatch, was formerly a resident of Bartholomew and was an uncle of Mrs. James C. Pierce and ex sheriff William F. Dinkins, both of this county. Mr. Suddith was born on a farm six miles east of Columbus and lived here until 1885 or 1886, when he moved to Nebraska and spent the rest of his life in that state.

During the summer of 1906 he came back to Indiana on a visit and first visited his daughter Mrs. Stevenson near Richmond . One evening he went to a spring on the Stevenson place and lying flat on his stomach, as he had been in the habit of doing when a boy, he took a long cool draught of water from the spring. Mr. Suddith swallowed something as he took the drink, but did not know what it was. He visited Miami County shortly after that and before returning to Nebraska he visited the Pierce and Dinkins family in this county, Mr. Dinkins then being a resident of this city, as he was sheriff of the county at the time. From time to time since Mr. Suddith went back to Nebraska, relatives in this county have received letters stating that he was having a great deal of trouble with his stomach, but did not know that he had swallowed a live from and that the live frog was still in his stomach. It was thought that the man was suffering from cancer of the stomach and he was being treated for that disease. The relatives in the county did not know until informed by this paper last Friday that Mr. Suddith had swallowed a from. – Columbus ( Ind. ) paper.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > February > 7

  Scoff at Man and Frog Story

Can a man live with a frog in his stomach?

Can a frog live in a man’s stomach three months?

Did Logan Suddith who died last night really swallow a frog?

Many have asked Coroner Graham these questions today. He will be able to answer them in part this evening as in accordance with the wish of the dead man an autopsy was held this afternoon at Robert’s morgue over the body.

Last night just before 8 o’clock Mr. Suddith who was a veteran of the civil war, passed away at his home, 1629 O street . The claim was set up by some that a living frog in the stomach of the deceased had caused his death. The attending physicians, four in number, scoff at the theory. It is absurd they declare neither Suddith nor his family disagreed with the doctors.

After all, the frog theory is not without foundation.

Some months ago, Suddith, who was visiting in Indiana , drank at a spring. If in reality he swallowed the reptile, he did it then. But the possibility that he had really swallowed the retile never occurred to him until September 20th, some time after his return to this city, when a member of the family found a full sized frog in a vessel which he had used.

Some members of the family thought it was possible he had swallowed the frog, his physicians scoffed at the story. Dr. Graham who attended the man three months prior to his death, strongly maintained that the patient was suffering from cancer of the stomach, bowels and liver. Little or no hope was maintained for his ultimate recovery, only a miracle could save his life, the doctor told the family.

An operation was out of the question. The patient could not live through the ordeal.

“But how about the post mortem”?,  was asked the doctor today.

We are to hold one because the deceased requested it.” He answered.

“Did he believe he had a live frog in his stomach?”

“He talked about it some, but was not much impressed with the story. He learned the details from us.”

“The why did he request that the autopsy be held over his body?”

“To give the physicians an opportunity to study his ailment and therefore gain knowledge of his condition so as to make it possible for them to help other sufferers.”

Suddith had suffered with the cancer for several years. He had not worked any since the Epworth assembly gathering. Most of the time since he had been bedfast.

The frog discovered in the bucket was perhaps one inch and a half across. It measured fully four inches from tip to tip. It was an ordinary pond frog. It kicked about in the bucket and was very much alive. Later it died but was preserved by the family.

“Could he swallow a frog of that size and live?”

“It might be possible, though according to the story the frog was somewhat small then. It grew considerably in three months” replied the coroner with a smile.

“How long could a frog live in a man’s stomach?”

“I don’t know. I wouldn’t make an estimate of the time. It could not live long.”

Dr. Graham explained that the heat of the body, which is 98.2-5 degrees, would in time cause a frogs death. Then in a short time the animal would rot. The patient by that time would probably be very sick. He didn’t think the dead man swallowed a frog. He had ridiculed it from the first. Either the man would have killed the frog or the frog would have killed the man. – Lincoln , ( Neb. ) News

The man whose death was supposed to have been caused by swallowing a frog was the youngest brother of Mr. W.H. Suddith of this city. The Times reproduces the above clipping because it had published the story of Logan Suddith’s death shortly after it occurred.

The deceased man’s family do not believe the frog story, though as yet they have been unable to account for the reptile being in the vessel in the sick man’s room.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > February > 29



J.N. Porter, roadmaster for the Wichita Valley Railroad, is celebrating his twelfth birthday today. In fact Mr. Porter is a man of mature years having been born on Feb. 29th, 1856 . He has had a birthday once every four years excepting in 1900 when Father Time on the calendar cheated him out of a birthday because the February that year did not have 29 days.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > March > 12




Arthur Graves, a driver for the Wichita Ice Company, came near getting into serious trouble this afternoon by making a gun play on E.P. Walsh, of the firm of Walsh & Clasbey, but was prevented from carrying out his intentions by his employer. Mr. W.W. Robertson, who seized the shotgun which Graves had leveled in Walsh’s face and stopped what might have resulted in a murder.

The trouble between the two men it seems, arose over a purchase by Graves of a pair of shoes from the firm of Walsh & Clasbey and the purchaser claimed the shoes were not as represented. Some hot words were exchanged, Graves leaving the store, but told Walsh he would see him later. He then, it appears, went and secured a shotgun and waited for Mr. Walsh to come out of his building. After lying in wait for several minutes, Mr. Walsh started to the sample room with a drummer, when Graves made the attempt to shoot him with the gun and but for the timely interference of Mr. Robertson, would probably have succeeded.

As the Times goes to press, Graces is in the custody of the officers and in all probability will be required to give a peace bond before he is again turned loose upon the public with his shotgun.

If the Times is correctly informed, the provocation was very slight for the employment of such extreme methods.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > March > 25



H.A. Williams, a farm hand, while engaged in work on a windmill, on the farm of Mr. Thornberry, twelve miles northeast of this city this morning, happened to an accident which may cause him to lose three fingers on his left hand, which in some manner or other were caught in the cog wheels of the windmill as he attempted to start it to pumping water.

Immediately after the accident, he drove to town and had Dr. Red dress the wounded members.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > April > 10

Charged with Embezzlement

R.T. Chafin, a young man of about 23 years of age, who has been employed by Messrs. Kemp and Durden, was arrested last night on a charge of embezzlement. Chafin is alleged to have sold three mules and a horse belonging to his employers several weeks ago for the sum of $180 and then to have spent the proceeds of the sale in having a good time.

Chafin is now at the county jail awaiting a hearing. 

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > April > 16

Hit With An Oil Can

Edward Kethley, an employee at the Denver road house, was struck over the head with an oil can by a fellow employee, which laid him out for a time. He was taken to Drs. Burnside and Walker ’s office to have an ugly scalp wound dressed.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > April > 17

Childs Eye Put Out

The little girl baby of Mr. and Mrs. E.H. Foster who reside two miles this side of Iowa Park , while playing with a coal oil can, fell and stuck the spout of the can in its left eye, destroying the sight. The accident occurred Tuesday morning of this week and the parents of the child brought it to town and placed it under the cared of Dr. Duval, but nothing could be done that would restore the sight of the injured optic. Mr. and Mrs. Foster will return to their home tomorrow.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > April > 20

Woman Attempts Suicide

A Mrs. Benson aged about 6? Years, living on Ohio avenue in one of the new houses recently constructed near the bridge over the Wichita river attempted to commit suicide yesterday morning by drinking chloroform.

Her attempt to take her own life was discovered a few minutes afterward by her husband and Dr. Burnside was summoned at once and injected antidotes and re-agents and saved her life, although the patient is still very low this morning.

Under the pillow of her bed was found a revolver, with which it is believed she had first intended to take her life.

The family are newcomers here and according to the husband, Mrs. Benson had attempted suicide several times previously, although no cause for her desire to kill herself is know.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > June > 2

Mrs. Ames Martin Hurt in Runaway

Yesterday afternoon about 6 o’clock , while driving on Eleventh Street , Mr. and Mrs. C.A. Stearns and Mrs. Ames Martin, came near being seriously hurt.

The team became frightened at a large hole in the street and ran over it breaking the buggy and threw all three out on the ground. Mr. Stearns held onto the reins, but the horses ran several yards, dragging Mrs. Martin who had become entangled with the buggy. Mrs. Martin was quite seriously hurt, while Mr. and Mrs. Stearns escaped with only slight bruises.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > June > 11

Lightening Bolt Strikes House

During the rain this morning the home of J.L. Powell and family on Fourteenth street was struck by lightening and several of the family were slightly shocked. The bolt struck at the corner of the house and tore up a few shingles, but caused no serious damage.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > June > 12


Man Bitten by Rattlesnake Cuts Flesh and Packs Salt in the Wound


  But Saved His Life by the Expedient and His Fortitude

John Cunningham, a farmer living about ten miles west of town, resorted to heroic measures Tuesday afternoon to save his life from the bite of  rattlesnake.

Mr. Cunningham it’s reported was shucking wheat when a venomous rattlesnake __ fangs into his leg a few inches below the knee.

The victim was miles away from any physician and was thrown upon his own resources to save his life. He employed means which few men would have thought of and which still fewer would have had the nerve to endure. After tying a string about his leg above the bite and twisting the knots tightly over the arteries to prevent the diffusion of the poison, Mr. Cunningham cut a strip of flesh several inches in length from above the wound and packed salt in the raw flesh ___ the bite. As rapidly as a packing salt had been soaked with the blood and poison a new application was put on and this treatment was kept up until a physician could be called.

The application of the salt to the raw fleshed caused the patient the most intense pain but with great fortitude he endured it, knowing that his life was at stake.

He is now reported to be out of danger and Dr. W.H. Walker, of this city, who was called to attend him, says the victim undoubtedly save his life through this heroic measure.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > June > 16


Angry Men Burned Powder At Turkey Bend Yesterday Afternoon


J.M. Sellers Receives Flesh Wound In Arm As Result of Quarrel With Man Named Chaney

Revolvers were the weapons used by J.W. Chaney and J.M. Sellers to settle such trouble caused by a horse which was inclined to browse on pasture away from home.

The trouble occurred at the home of Mr. Sellers near what is known as Turkey Bend of the Wichita River near town ___ in the exchange of shots Mr. Sellers received a bullet wound in his right arm which, while not serious, is very painful.

It appears that Chaney, who is a tenant on Mr. Sellers farm, had previously had some trouble with the later over the trespass of Sellers’ horse on Chaney’s cotton.

Yesterday when he discovered the horse in his cotton field, he went out and caught it and started to ride it over to Sellers house. Mr. Sellers and M.V. Rankin were standing near the house when Chaney rode up on the horse. Hostilities were not long on starting. According to Rankin’s statement at the hearing before Justice Brothers this morning, Sellers claimed the horse and told Chaney emphatically that he would take care of the animal. Chaney replied warmly that he didn’t want to have the horse get in the field again and added to Mr. Sellers, “Do you understand?”

Chaney kept on with the horse, whereupon, Sellers picked up a heavy stick of wood and buried it at Chaney, striking him in the back between the shoulders. Chaney immediately drew his revolver and fired three shots at Sellers, one of which took effect in the latter’s arm.

When Chaney started to fire, Sellers can into his house, returning immediately with a revolver. Upon his appearance, Chaney started the horse off to a run. Sellers fired several shots after the fugitive, none of which took effect. Both parties later came to town, where their wounds received attention  

Chaney was arrested upon a charge of assault with intent to murder and at his hearing this morning was bound over to the grand jury under $800 bond.

No complaint has been filed against Sellers. It is said that the two men have had quarrels before and their readiness to start hostilities yesterday bears out this report.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > June > 17


Stanton, the 4 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Thatcher, was stung by a centipede in his home on Eighth street Monday night.

The little boy was playing about his room in his bare feet when he struck the centipede.

A physician was called immediately and antidotes were applied to the sting within a few minutes after it had been inflicted and no serious results followed, although the foot is painfully swollen.

It is said that centipedes are unusually numerous now, several persons reporting to have killed them in their houses within the last few weeks.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > June > 18

Seriously Hurt

A.A. Smith, a laborer on the Moore and Bateman building fell from a scaffold this afternoon and was seriously hurt about the head. When the accident occurred, Smith was pushing a wheelbarrow filled with brick along the scaffold when he fell off backwards, striking his head against some timbers below. The wound in Smith’s head bled profusely and rendered him unconscious for a time.

His fellow workman picked him up and carried him to a nearby drugstore where his wounds were dressed.

  Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > June > 19

Thurston Simmons, an employee of the Wichita Bottling Works, was quite severely injured yesterday by stepping on a piece of broken glass, which penetrated the bottom of his shoe and into one of his feet. He will be laid up for several days.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > June > 19

Aged Citizen is Severely Injured

W.H. Vanderslice, an old and respected citizen of this city, was painfully and seriously injured at his home on Austin avenue yesterday afternoon while unhitching his horse. The accident occurred in the alley at the rear of his residence, but exactly how it happened is not known.

A Negro who was cutting grass in the yard saw a horse running down the alley and ran out to find Mr. Vanderslice lying bruised and bleeding on the ground.

He was picked up and carried into the house and a physician summoned at once. His injuries were found to consist of a fractured jaw bone, an ugly gash across the back of his head and bad bruises over the body. Mr. Vanderslice himself has no recollection of the accident beyond that he was unhitching his horse when it occurred. His clothing and scratches and bruises indicated that he had been dragged several yards.

He is resting as comfortably as could be expected today and is believed, will recover.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > June > 23

Lee McMurtry in Last Sleep

Fought With Quantrell and Jesse James, Dies Here

Fort Worth Telegram – Lee B. McMurtry, 66 years old, died Sunday on Fort Worth and with his passing one of the most remarkable characters of the early days of the southwest goes to his final reward. McMurtry was a personal friend and long time associate of Jesse James in the days of his career in Missouri . He has told many listeners how he was with “Bill” Quantrell when he was shot toward the close of the civil war and last Fall at Wichita Falls , met Cole Younger for the first time in thirty six years.

McMurtry was present at the famous massacre at Lawrence , Kan. , when the entire city was shot up and burned. Once with a few comrades when surrounded by Colorado troops, he cut his way through the military cordon and in his flight that day had three horses shot out from under him.

When the James boys were broken up, he fled to Mexico and later returned to New Mexico . Here, he freighted for years, but later returned and stood trial, coming clear of all charges made against him.

Made A Fine Sheriff

Next he appears as Peace Officer and was made Sheriff of Wichita county. At Wichita Falls , he made the best Sheriff the country thereabouts had ever known. He was absolutely fearless and enforced the law to the letter.

It is told of him that when a member of the Quantrell guerilla band during the civil war he once saved the life of the now Senator Stephen B. Elkins, who was a school boy friend of his. McMurtry, who cast his lot with the Quantrell band, often told how he came to join the organization.

The company, he always explained, was raised of fearless and daring men on the frontier who were accustomed to ride and shoot and was intended as a light horse attachment of the Confederate army. Their recklessness led them into trouble with the leaders of the Confederacy and before they were aware of it they were declared outlaws and the hands of both the Federal and Confederate governments were against them.

“I fought under the black flag for two years” McMurtry said to a Telegram reporter last fall at Wichita Falls , “and I tell you it is a mighty dangerous business.”

$10, 000 Reward Offered for Him

At one time the United States government placed a $10, 000 reward upon McMurtry’s head. That was in the days directly following the civil war and when the James Gang was raiding through Missouri and Kansas . His home was in Clay County, Missouri.

Last fall when Cole Younger started out with his show company the meeting of the two men at Wichita Falls was touching. Younger had only a short time before being released from a long term in the penitentiary as a result of his many expeditions in the early days of bandit operations.

The two men recognized each other after the separation of thirty six years and Younger was taken to McMurtry’s home, where they spent hours retelling their reminisces of the days when the only law was the law of the gun. The death of McMurtry came very suddenly Sunday. He was visiting at the home of his daughter in this city at 1514 Lawrence avenue when he was suddenly stricken and died.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > June > 30


Thomas Finnan Yard Foreman for the Denver , Suffers Severe Injuries


Injured Man was Taken to the Fort Worth Hospital This Morning

Thomas Finnan, foreman in the Fort Worth and Denver yards here, had both of his legs broken and sustained a bad cut on his right forearm while at work last night assisting in replacing a derailed engine upon the track.

In the work two pieces of steel rails were fastened together in the shape of a “V” and while Finnan was working near the contrivance it “kicked” back with awful force and struck him upon the legs. Both bones of one leg were fractured above the ankle and one of the bones of the other limb was also broken.

The injured man was sent to the hospital in Fort Worth on an early train this morning.

He is married and has a family who live in this city.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > June > 30

Habeas Corpus Hearing

J.S. Broderick and E.M. Buckholt, two farmers living on F. P. Warren’s farm in the northern part of the county, who had been charged in a complaint filed by G.H. Selden with having committed the offense of rape upon the person of his wife, Mrs. Fannie Selden on May 13th last, had a hearing this morning upon writs of habeas corpus sued out by their attorney before judge A.H. Carrigan. After all the testimony had been introduced, the county attorney in open court admitted that the testimony was insufficient to show that such an offense had been committed and agreed that Broderick and Buckholt might be discharged, The court thereupon ordered their discharge.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > July > 4


  Would Be Burglar Got Warm Reception At Home of E.B. Stonecipher


A Wounded Man Calls For Physician

Between 2 and 3 o'clock this morning E.B. Stonecipher, the coal dealer, discovered a man looking in a window at his home at 1208 Burnett street and fired two shots from a shotgun at the intruder, one of which it is believed took effect.

Several weeks ago, during Mr. Stonecipher's absence from home, his daughters were aroused one night by a noise at one of the windows, but before they could get a revolver the man had made his getaway.

Mr. Stonecipher upon his return loaded up his shotgun to give the fellow a warm reception if he ever returned. Early this morning Mr. Stonecipher was awakened by a disturbance at his barn and slipped out with his shotgun to find out what was the cause.

While standing in the shadows close to a fence, Mr. Stonecipher saw a man peering in at one of the windows of the house.

The man's actions convinced Mr. Stonecipher that he was there for no good purpose and he leveled his gun to fire. The weapon had not been discharged in several years, so that the trigger was difficult to pull and at the first attempt did not work. After several attempts Mr. Stonecipher succeeded in firing a shot, which must have taken effect, for the next he saw of the man he was raising from the ground uttering cries of pain.

The fellow then ran to the street and fled east toward the school house, with Mr. Stonecipher in pursuit, calling upon the intruder to halt, at the same time trying to discharge the load. Again Mr. Stonecipher had difficulty in making the trigger work and by the time he succeeded the fugitive was so far in the lead that the only effect the shot had was to make him run the faster and made good his escape.

At the time he fired the first shot, Mr. Stonecipher thought the intruder was a negro, but developments learned today make it appear that the would be burglar was a white man.


This morning Dr. L Coons was called to attend DeWitt Clayborn Jr. who was suffering with a load of bird shot in one of his limbs. It is said that amputation may be necessary.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > July > 3

The city police department is searching for Earl Aaron, a young man who came here about a week ago to take a position in the Wichita Falls and Northwestern's round house. The young man paid a month's board in advance at a local lodging house and afterwards nothing was seen of him either at the round house or at his boarding place. Superintendent Orth, who has known the young man for several years, says that he is a sober, industrious workman, and is at a loss to explain his mysterious disappearance.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > July > 13

Bigamy is Alleged

R.B. Wright was arrested at Electra and was brought here yesterday and placed in jail to await an investigation of a charge of bigamy.

Wright, it is said, came to Electra several months ago and was married to a young woman at that place.

A few days ago a woman from Oklahoma , claiming to be wife No. 1 arrived on the scene and Wright's arrest followed shortly afterward.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > July > 28


Mangled Body Of Young Archer City Physician Found On Train Track North Of Town


Suspicious Action of Doctor's Two Companions Cause Belief That Death Was Not Accident

The body of Dr. Earl Dycus of Archer City was found lying on the Fort Worth and Denver tracks about three quarters of a mile north of the Wichita bridge early this morning. The discovery was made by engineer Tom Pryor on the north bound local freight at a few minutes before 7 o'clock this morning. Mr. Pryor saw the body lying between the rails several hundred yards ahead of the engine and the train was brought to a stop. Upon going forward the crew came upon the mangled body of a young man, lying between the rails with one arm cut off and lying outside the track, the other crushed to a pulp, lying across one of the rails. Both limbs had been crushed, but were not entirely severed from the body.

Conductor Stivers immediately reported the finding of the body to the officers and Marshall Gwinn and Justice Brothers were at once at the scene.

At that time the identity of the body was unknown, but letters were found addressed to Dr. Earl Dycus at Archer City, Texas and the body was conclusively identified by friends of the dead man before its removal to the undertaking department of the North Texas Furniture and Coffin Company.

Relatives in Forth Worth were notified and the body was prepared for shipment and sent to that city this afternoon. The remains were accompanied by Judge Scurry.

Young Dycus, who was a son of the late Judge F.E. Dycus, whose death occurred in Fort Worth several months ago, and his mother and other members of the family live in that city.

Young Dycus recently graduated from a medical college and several months ago went to Archer City , the place of his birth, and formed a partnership in the practice of medicine with Dr. A.R. Matthews.

Yesterday he came to this city to look after a shipment of horses from San Antonio, intending to return to Archer City on the Wichita Falls and Southern, but missing his train, was compelled to remain in this city.

He was in the company of friends early in the evening, but later, at about 11 o'clock he was in Smith's restaurant with three companions with whom he was engaged in a heated conversation and at one time he almost came to blows with the other three men. The trouble, however, was apparently passed over, and the next trace of Dycus was when he was at the Elite pool hall, where he played a game of billiards with several friends. Two of the men with whom he had quarreled were also in the pool room and their attitude toward Dycus is described as threatening, and Dycus is reported to have told a friend: "Those fellows are after me" and "I think they are waiting for a chance to hold me up."

Fearing that the men meant to attack Dycus, Mr. Fowler, the proprietor of the pool room, finally induced him to leave by way of the rear entrance to the pool hall.

This was the last trace that can be found of Dycus until the discovery of his body this morning.

Shortly after Dr. Dycus left the pool room, the two men who had threatened him left the pool hall, but returned half an hour later and inquired where Dycus had gone and are reported to have said: "We want to find him and give him a beating."

This chain of circumstances gave rise to the suspicion that Dycus might have met with foul play and while the two men were not arrested and charged with his murder, they were subpoenaed to appear before the court of inquest at 2 o'clock this afternoon, and in the meantime were kept under surveillance by the officers.

Friends of Dr. Dycus were communicated by telephone by the Times today and from them it was learned that when he left Archer City yesterday he did not have more than seven or eight dollars in money upon his person. Fifty-five cents was found in the dad man's pockets today and his watch still running was found upon the track. If Dycus met with foul play robbery could not have been the motive.

When last seen Dycus, while he had been drinking, was not intoxicated. One of the facts which has not been satisfactorily explained is that he was struck by the train nearly two miles from town, in a spot which he could have had no motive for visiting.

Justice Brothers is conducting an inquest at the court house this afternoon but at the hour of going to press no new facts had been brought out.

                        Offers $100 Reward

J.L. McConkey, who for years was a citizen of Archer county, and was an old acquaintance of the Dycus family, said this morning to a Times reporter that he was thoroughlyf convinced that young Dr. Earl Dycus was murdered by the two thugs who were trying to fuss and quarrel with Dycus at Fowler's pool hall last night or early this morning, and that he will contribute $100 to a fund for the arrest and conviction of the murderers.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > July > 29


J.A. Norwood and O.W. Robison For Murder Of Dr. Irl Dycus.

The shreds of evidence that had been gathered in connection with the death of Dr. Irl Dycus pointed so strongly toward foul play that last night O.W. Robison, a washer at the Wichita laundry, and J.A. Norwood, a carpenter, who has been in the employ of Brown and Cranmer, were placed in jail and this morning a formal charge of murder was sworn against them by Constable Randolph.

Norwood and Robison are the men who had made threats against Dr. Dycus at the Elite pool hall early Tuesday morning. They were subpoenaed to appear before the coroner's court yesterday afternoon and were kept under surveillance until their formal arrest this morning.

The coroner’s inquest which was begun yesterday afternoon was continued this morning to give the officers more time in unearthing evidence as to the cause of the young man's death.

In the meantime Robison and Norwood are confined in separate cells at the county jail.

Several pieces of evidence which may assume importance at the continuance of the hearing have been secured by the officers now working on the case.

One of these is the finding of a pair of carpenter's overalls under Norwood 's bed at the Mansion hotel late yesterday afternoon by Marshall Gwinn and Officer Jernigan, on which were stains having the appearance of blood. Late this afternoon these stains were examined under a microscope by J.W. DuVal who pronounced them not to be blood.

Late yesterday afternoon spots resembling blood were found on the Denver track near Hunts elevator. Whether these spots are blood has not yet been determined.

J.L. McConkey, who has spent much time looking over the ground where the body of Dr. Dycus was found on the railroad track, has discovered no conclusive evidence, but feels that the young man was murdered and his body carried to the spot where it was laid on the rails.

Probably one of the most important pieces of testimony will be the statement of Walter White, night call boy for the Fort Worth and Denver . White told a Times reporter this morning that while sitting on a track at the side of the depot at about 12:15 a.m. Tuesday he was seized by two men answering the description of Norwood and Robison and that the men demanded with oaths to know if he was Governor somebody, whose name he does not remember and that upon convincing the men that he was not the fellow they wanted, that they wanted to know where he was, saying that they were going to fix him. White does not know which direction the men took after leaving him, nor does he remember of having seen anyone answering the description of Dr. Dycus. In his testimony before the inquest yesterday, Norwood said that he had no ill feeling toward Dycus and that he never saw him after he left the pool room. Robison also made the same statement. They say that after going to the Wichita and the St. James hotels, they went to their room in the Mansion hotel and went to bed. This statement is corroborated by a third man, whose name has not been learned.

Norwood says that he never changed clothing on Tuesday morning and that the clothes he now wears are the same he had on Monday night.

Both men deny very stoutly that they made any assault upon Dr. Dycus or that they saw him after leaving the pool hall.

Their statements in regard to their actions in the pool hall are contradicted by other witnesses in several points.

So far, no conclusive evidence has been unearthed against either of the men now under arrest, but in view of their threats and actions, and the fact that the body was found two miles from town, at a spot where the dead man could have no motive for visiting, and other additional shreds of evidence, furnish the grounds for their detention until a thorough investigation is made.

Dispatchers state that the funeral of Dr. Dycus was held at the home of his mother in Fort Worth this afternoon.

Letters found on the body yesterday from an officer in the Fort Worth Masonic lodge, were written to notify Dr. Dycus that he had been elected to membership in the lodge and further stated that last night had been set for the date of his initiation.

Judge Carrigan this morning ordered a recess in the district court to give District Attorney Martin and the officers and opportunity to investigate the case thoroughly. At this time it is not known when the inquest will be resumed.


Young Dycus Well Known in Fort Worth

The tragic death of Dr. Dycus, follows close on that of his father, Judge F.E. Dycus, a prominent lawyer of this city, who died on April 1. Dr. Dycus had resided for twelve years in Fort Worth and was a student of the Fort Worth Medical College . He intended returning to Forth Worth this fall to complete his course at this institution. He had already received a certificate to practice medicine and during last summer was assistant to City Physician Solon Milton.

Dr. Dycus was born 21 years ago at Decatur . While still a childe his parents removed to this city, where he attended the public schools, including the high school. He attended the State University for a term and developing a talent for medicine early decided to take up the practice of that profession. Had not the fatality of Monday cut off his career, he would have been graduated next spring from the medical college.

The young man had a large circle of friends in Fort Worth . He is survived by his mother, two brothers and two sisters. The body will be brought to this city and interred near the recent grave of the father of the young man who met with such an untimely end. Judge Dycus' death was also a sudden one, occurring after a short illness from blood poison, caused by a slight scratch.

The shock has been a severe one to the family, which is still in mourning for Judge Dycus.

                    Family is Prominent

The Dycus family has been one of the most prominent in North Texas . They were among the early settlers in Archer County and maintained a country place there after the late Judge Dycus moved to Fort Worth and formed a legal partnership with George E. Miller. Dr. Dycus returned to Archer to Archer City after the death of his father.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > July > 30


Lunch Stand Man Tells Of Seeing Two Men Coming From River


Officers Conduct Secret Inquiry For New Evidence - Results Not Made Public

Important developments may be made within the next few hours in connection with the tragic death of Dr. Irl Dycus and the arrest of O.W. Robison and J.A. Norwood, who are held in jail pending a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of the young Archer City physician.

This morning a secret conference of the officials working in the case, together with District Attorney Martin, County Attorney Greenwood and Justice Brothers was held in the office of Judge Scurry.

A number of persons who are believed to know facts connected with the case, were brought before the conference and subjected to an examination.

The exact nature of the testimony of these witnesses is not known, as the conference was held in secret and the officials say they have no information to make public.  However, it is known that several witnesses whose testimony had not been taken at the public inquest, were closeted with the officials this morning.

A witness whose testimony may be of great importance and whose story, if true, appears very damaging to the two men now under arrest, is John Vandiver, who conducts a lunch stand at the O.K. wagon yard on Indiana avenue .

Mr. Vandiver told a newspaper man this morning that he saw two men pass his place coming from the direction of the Wichita river at about 4 o'clock Tuesday morning. He further says that they were accosted by a man who came out of the wagon yard and appeared to be questioning them. Mr. Vandiver further states that he saw Norwood , one of the men under arrest, while the latter was being taken through the court yard between the jail and the court house yesterday and believes that he was one of the two men he saw pass his place Tuesday morning.

Norwood , in his statement before the inquest Tuesday afternoon says he and Robison went to his room at the Mansion hotel a short time after they were last seen at the pool hall. This is regarded as evidence of the highest importance.

It is also rumored that the Fort Worth and Denver has sent one of its detectives here to work on the case and assist especially in securing any information that may be had from the Denver trainmen.

Harrold Dycus, who was nominated for the office of county surveyor of Archer county and who returned last night from Fort Worth , where he attended his brothers funeral, is in the city and will probably remain until the investigation is concluded.

There were rumors on the street this morning that a special session of the grand jury had been called, but Judge Carrigan stated to a Times reporter this afternoon that such action was not contemplated at this time.

This morning the city council authorized the announcement that they would give $100 for the arrest and conviction of the parties guilty of the murder of Dr. Dycus. It is also reported that E.B. Carver of Archer City would give a like amount, be he could not be communicated with today to verify this report. Mr. McConkey's offer of $100, announced Tuesday, has not been withdrawn.

Local authorities had thought yesterday of asking the State to offer a reward, but this was later decided to be inadvisable and the request was not made.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > July > 29

Asbell sent up for Two Years

Roy Asbell, charged with the forgery of a check, was found guilty yesterday morning in the district court and the jury fixed his punishment at two years in the State penitentiary.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > August > 1

Judge J. Kennedy, an old citizen of our town, was paralyzed last Friday evening and has been very low ever since. Judge Kennedy is about 85 years of age and was formerly a citizen of Pennsylvania , but resided a number of years in Iowa before coming to Iowa Park , where he arrived in 1888. - Iowa Park Register

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > August > 19


With Gasoline Flaming Upon His Back Allen Hill Made Dash Across Street


Victim Thrown Down and Blazing Garments Torn From His Back. Burns Not Fatal

Carelessness in handling gasoline came near costing Allen Hill, a tailor on Indiana avenue , his life this morning and he was fortunate in escaping with sever and painful burns about the back and on his arms.

Hill, it appears, was working with gasoline in a bucket for the purpose of cleaning a garment.

The heat caused the gasoline to evaporate into a gas, which was ignited from a lighted burner in the rear of the room. When the bucket flashed into flame, Hills' first thought was to get the bucket out of the room. Seizing the flaming receptacle he attempted to throw it through the front door into the street. When he swung the bucket through the air the gaseous fluid flew from the bucket and a portion of the contents spilled upon Hill's back. The bucket struck the door frame and the room was instantly a mass of flame.

Hill, with his back a blazing torch, dashed from the room into the street, and with cries of terror and pain, ran with a sped born of desperation across the street and plunged through the screen door into the E.S. Morris drug store, tearing the door from its hinges. He then started to run through the store, when he was grabbed and thrown down by Prof. H.A. Fairchild, who ran after him from the opposite side of the street, and his blazing clothing was torn from his body.

A physician, Dr. Watts, fortunately, was in the drug store when Hill burst through the door and prompt measures were taken to attend to Hill's pains and counteract the effects of his burns.

The burns were mostly on the back of the victim and on his arms and lower extremities, and while severe and painful, it is note believed they will result seriously.

Swathed from head to foot in cotton bandages, Hill was taken to the home of his brother, Charles Hill, across the Wichita Valley tracks on Scott avenue .

The gasoline in the room burned out without setting fire to the building and no damage was done other than the burning of some garments lying on a cleaning table in the room.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > August > 22

Two Men Accidentally Shot

Frederick Leader.

W.E. Smith and L.C. Kemp, two painters of Burkburnett , Texas , while driving in the country near the new town of Harriston, where they were seeking work, were badly injured Friday by the discharge of a shotgun which they were carrying in their buggy.

One of the men in lighting a cigarette, in some way discharged a loaded shotgun which was leaning against the buggy seat between them. The charge first struck Smith, tearing away the fleshy part of is right arm and then entered Kemp's left lung. Both men are married.

Then men managed to get to the new town of Harriston, where they were given such attention as was possible, and were put aboard the evening train and sent to Frederick , where doctors had been notified to meet the train. A message to the doctors simply stated that two men who had been shot were on the train, and Sheriff Carter, on the alert, was at the station with his deputies to meet the train when it arrived.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > September > 3


F.D. Woodruff and W.J. Sheldon of Electra News, Attacked


Both knocked Down on the Street, Friend Reaches Scene and Puts Assailants to Flight

That a newspaper man's life is full of care and trouble was fully realized last night by W.J. Sheldon and F.D. Woodruff, owners and editors of the Electra News, a paper which took a decided stand against the saloons in the recent local option election at that place, when they were assaulted on the street by John Moody, a saloon keeper, and his brother Ed Moody.

It is said that the Moody brothers had made open statements to the effect that they intended to run Sheldon and Woodruff out of town for the part they had taken in the local option fight. Last night the two Moody's met the editors on the street and called them to one side, where they suddenly attacked them with rock. Both editors were knocked down and probably would have been badly beaten, but for the opportune interference of one of their friends who ran up and engaged their two assailants so strenuously that they were both glad to get out of the reach without being killed.

At first it was thought that Sheldon had been seriously injured from the blow of a 5 pound rock upon his head, where a bad scalp wound was inflicted, but this morning he was able to be at his office. Woodruff was less seriously injured than Sheldon and he too was able to be at his work this morning.

The two Moodys were arrested by Constable Yeary and last night went before the justice of the peace at Electra and plead guilty and paid fines for a plain assault to forestall a more serious charge.

The assault is denounced by many good citizens of Electra as a cowardly attack and there is much feeling against the two assailants.

Messrs. Woodruff and Sheldon are congratulating themselves today over their escape from serious injuries and are using their best efforts to restore the town to peace and quiet.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > September > 4


Mrs. Waltel Allen Shot and Killed Husband's Companion


Stayed Her Hand After Fatal Shot and Probably Saved Husband From Like Fate

Driven in desperation by her husband's unfaithfulness, Mrs. Walter Allen, wife of the proprietor of the St. Charles hotel and owner of the Star saloon last night shot and killed almost instantly Lillie Wheatley, the proprietress of a resort located near the lake east of the Fort Worth and Denver coal chutes.

The shooting occurred shortly after 11 o'clock and took place in front of the Wheatley woman's house, while she was seated in a buggy with Mr. Allen, who is said to have had his arm around the woman when she was shot.

At about half past nine o'clock last night Mrs. Allen called up the city hall over the telephone and asked Marshall Gwinn to go down to the Mulberry row district and bring home her husband, whom she was positive was in that part of town in company with a lewd woman. A meeting of the council being in session at the time, Mr. Gwinn told Mrs. Allen that he would go in search of her husband as soon as the council adjourned, which he did in company with Officer Jernigan.

In the meantime, however, Mrs. Allen had called a cab and had driven to the neighborhood of the Wheatley woman's house, where she got out, telling the driver to wait for her. As she alighted from the cab, the driver saw that she carried a six shooter and as soon as she had stepped a few feet he turned his horses about and started to drive away; intending, presumably, to give warning. Mrs. Allen, however, suspected his design and headed him off when he reached to coal chutes and compelled him to drive back to the spot where she had alighted. In the meantime, Allen and the Wheatley woman, who had been out driving, had returned and were seated in the buggy in front of the house.

Mrs. Allen, after the shooting, said that when she started out to find her husband took the revolver only to protect herself and not to shoot any one, but lost control of herself when she saw her husband's arm about the woman.

Walking straight to the buggy from the rear she fired into the woman's side when not more than two feet distance. The bullet entered under the left shoulder blade and passed through the body lodging under the skin in the right breast.

Mortally wounded, the Wheatley woman's body lurched forward over the wheel, just as the horse, frightened by the report of the six shooter, lunged forward and started to run away. The reins had been lying loose over the dash board and before Allen could regain them and check the frightened animal it had carried them some little distance. Within ten minutes after being shot, the woman was dead.

When the shot was fired Gwinn and Jernigan were approaching the house, not forty feet away, on their search for Allen. Seeing Mrs. Allen run from the scene, Gwinn started in pursuit, overtook and brought her back to town. Mrs. Allen was in a high state of delirium of excitement and remained in that condition throughout the night. Being subject to attacks of heart trouble, it was feared that she might succumb, but this morning her condition was said to be much better.

Last night while being taken to the hotel, Mrs. Allen told Marshal Gwinn that she had not realized what she was doing, until she pulled the trigger and at that instant thought of her children. This fact probably saved Allen from being shot also.

The body of the Wheatley woman was removed to Jackson Bros. morgue and prepared for burial this morning.

A complaint was filed against Mrs. Allen this morning, charging murder. She waived a preliminary hearing and was placed under $1500 bond, which was promptly given.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > September > 26

Mrs. J.J. Manley Injured

While on her way home from town late yesterday afternoon, Mrs. J.J. Manley was thrown from her buggy at the corner of Twelfth street and Scott avenue and sustained injuries to her back and shoulders that are likely to prove serious.

She was carried to the residence of Mr. Chas. Erwin, where she will remain until she recovers sufficiently to be removed to her home on Holliday creek, just south of the city. Dr. Miller is attending her injuries.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > October > 27


Prisoners Overpowered Sheriff At Jail And Make Successful Dash For Liberty


Desperate Characters Joined in Jail Break and Have So Far Eluded Capture

Overpowering Sheriff Davis and choking him almost into insensibility five prisoners at the Wichita county jail made a desperate and successful dash for liberty last night although a posse searched for the jail breakers throughout the night no definite clew of the fugitives was discovered and ip to upon today none of them had been recaptured.

The prisoners who escaped are C.E. Fields, who was awaiting an investigation of a charge of theft by the grand jury, W.F. Randle, convicted of robbery and sentenced to five years who had appealed to a higher court, Will McWilliams, charged with robbery, A.L. Watson, charged with murder and a man named Jones charged with theft.

These five prisoners were all white men, several negro prisoners not relating in the dash for freedom.

The break was made at nightfall last night. Sheriff Davis had gone up to lock the men in their cells for the night. With the exception of McWilliams and Fields, who remained in the run-around to carry in the bedding to the cells, the other prisoners upon the order of the sheriff had gone into the cage and pretended to close the doors of their cells. In the dim light and the confusion, Mr. Davis did not observe that they had not closed the door of the cage, thereby locking themselves in as they had pretended.

No sooner had the sheriff unlocked the outer door leading into the run-around then he was knocked to the floor by McWilliams and was pounced upon by the other prisoners who had rushed from the cage and was choked almost into insensibility. With the sheriff overpowered and the outer door open, the way was clear for the escape of the five prisoners and they ran pell mell down the stairway and out into the court yard almost before the sheriff could recover his feet.

Mr. Davis fired four shots after the fleeing quartette, but if any of the shots hit any of the jail breakers they were not stopped in their flight.

Running across the court house yard the fugitives jumped the hedge into the street, after which all trace of them was lost.

When Sheriff Davis was thrown to the jail floor his back was painfully sprained and his throat was so badly injured in the attempt of the prisoners to choke him that he could speak today only with the greatest difficulty.

Immediately after the escape, posses were organized and spent the night in a vain effort to recapture the prisoners. Officers in all the surrounding counties have been notified of the jail delivery and are on the lookout for the escaped prisoners and Sheriff Davis is hopeful of capturing some or all of the men.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > November > 2

Robbery at Burkburnett

Sheriff Davis received a telephone message from Burkburnett this morning saying that Dick Holley's saloon had been broken into last night and a quantity of liquor and some money taken. Deputy Sheriff Vandergriff was sent out to investigate.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > November > 3


Body of Mrs. Crowell Found At Foot Of Stairway Yesterday Afternoon


When Death Occurred and Heart Trouble May Have Been the Cause

The body of Mrs. Crowell, aged about 57 years, was found lying at the foot of a stairway at her home about six miles west of town yesterday afternoon at about 4:30 o'clock. Her neck had been broken in a fall down the steps, but whether her death resulted from the fall or whether it was caused by an attack of heart trouble and she fell dead from the top of the stairs may never be known.

Mrs. Crowell was subject to heart trouble and it is believed that this may have caused her death,

Mrs. Crowell was the only member of the family at home when her death occured and the body indicated that she had been dead several hours when some of the children returning from school found her body.

She is survived by a husband and several children, one of whom is Mrs. P.E. Kerr.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > November > 5


Grand Jury at Henrietta Investigates Cause of Mrs. Crowell's Death

Immediately following the funeral yesterday of his wife, whose dead body was found at the foot of a stairway at her home Monday afternoon, Mike Crowell, a prominent farmer living about seven miles east of town, was taken into custody by the Clay county officers and taken to Henrietta.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > November > 6



M.J. Crowell, who was taken into custody at his home Wednesday afternoon by the Clay county officers in connection with the death of his wife several days ago, is held at the Clay county jail in Henrietta and has so far not been permitted to give bail.

An investigation is being conducted by the grand jury and a large number of witnesses from the community in which the Crowell’s live have been summoned to appear before that body.

It is said that the body of the dead woman bore evidences of foul play and that other circumstances tend to throw suspicion upon the husband of the dead woman.

It is alleged that there were indications of foul play in connection with the finding of the body and it has been openly stated that Crowell's actions indicated something was wrong.

The grand jury is now in session at Henrietta and it is said that an investigation of Mrs. Crowell's death is now under way.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > November > 11


True Bill Found Against Farmer By Clay County Grand Jury


Man Well Known in Wichita Falls Awaits Trial Charged With Killing His Wife

An indictment was returned by the grand jury in the Clay county district court on Saturday charging M.J. Crowell, a farmer living about six miles east of Wichita Falls in Clay county, with murder in the first degree.

Crowell is charged with the death of his wife, whose body was found at the foot of a stairway at her home on the afternoon of November 2nd.

Crowell is held in the Clay county jail without bail and his case will be called in the district court at Henrietta next week. The defendant has retained Attorney R.E. Taylor and Allen & Westland of Henrietta to look after his defense. District Attorney P.A. Martin will represent the State in the prosecution.

It was rumored on the streets here yesterday that Crowell had made a confession, but an inquiry by telephone to Henrietta fails to confirm this rumor.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > November > 11

Night Prowling

Mrs. Jasper N. Porter, wife of the roadmaster of the Wichita Valley , reports that someone was prowling around her premises last night.

Mrs. Porter wants the Times to give due warning to this night prowler that she is the possessor of a gun and knows how to use it in cases of this kind and that the next time she hears any strange noises around her premises there will be evidence on the ground the next morning to show what caused it.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > November > 12
Woman Seriously Burned

While attempting to put out the flames from a gasoline tank attached to her gasoline stove, Mrs. James Brown, who resides at the corner of Twelfth and Broad streets, was quite seriously burned yesterday on both arms. Dr. A.A. Jones was called to attend her injuries, and this morning he reports that she is getting along as well as could be expected under such circumstances.

Wichita Daily Times ( Wichita Falls , Texas ) > 1908 > December > 4


Crowell Jury Out Six Hours And Assesses Punishment At Fifteen Years


Arguments On Motion For New Trial Are Being Heard This Afternoon

Henrietta , Tex. , Dec. 4 - At 3:30 o'clock this afternoon Judge Carrigan overruled the motion for a new trial in the Crowell case and the defendant at once gave notice of appeal

Special to the Times

Henrietta , Tex. , Dec 4. - After being out a little over six hours the jury in the Mike Crowell murder case at Henrietta returned a verdict at eleven o'clock last night finding the defendant guilty of murder in the second degree and assessing his punishment at 15 years in the State penitentiary.

The verdict was a surprise to all parties many of these who had followed the case expecting that a hung jury would result.

On the first ballot it is reported that four of the jurors stood for acquittal on the charge of murder in the first degree. The failure of the State to establish a motive for the crime is said to have been the cause for the failure of the jury to find a verdict of murder to the first degree.

The defendant's attorneys have filed a motion for a new trial and arguments are being heard on this motion by Judge Carrigan this afternoon. If the motion is refused the defendant will file an appeal and it is also probable that he will ask for a writ of habeas corpus.

If a new trial is granted the defendant will ask for bail.



Website  maintained by:  Vicki Shaffer, Clay County Coordinator
TXGenWeb State Coordinator:  Shirley Cullum
Last updated:  
Copyright © 2009  Vicki Shaffer, The TXGenWeb Project & Contributors.  All Rights Reserved.
USGenWeb Copyright Regulations

Materials on this site are provided for the free use of persons who are researching their family history. Data may be freely used by non-commercial and/or 
completely free entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. Any commercial use, without the prior consent of the 
host/author of the materials provided on this site, is prohibited. The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit.  
**Notice to Webmaster's:  You may NOT copy and paste information from this site on another website without first obtaining permission and without copyright notice.  
Contributions to this site remain the property of the submitter and will not be sold nor distributed without prior consent.  
Persons wanting to use information from this site onto another should get written permission from the original submitter.**