Dallam County Historical Markers

Buffalo Springs

Marker Number: 562
Location: From Dalhart take U.S 87, 15 miles northwest, turn north onto F.M. 1879 about 12.8 miles, pass F.M. 296 and hed west onto private ranch, marker near house and springs
Text:Its permanent water made it known at opening of 17th century as a great hunting ground alive with buffalo and mustangs. A cow camp before 1878. Since 1882, headquarters of XIT Ranch, once largest fenced ranch in the world consisting of three mullion acres. Exchanged for the construction of the State Capitol. (1936)

Dallam County - Dalhart

Marker Number: 1158
Location: from Dahart take U.S. 87, 1 mile north of marker
Text: Formed from Young and Bexar territories: Created August 21, 1876; Organized July 28, 1891. Named in honor of James W. Dallam, 1818-1847. Compiler of digest of decisions of Supreme Court of the Republic of Texas, 1845. County Seat, Texline, 1891-1903. Dalhart, since this area was once part of XIT Ranch. (1936)

Dallam County Courthouse

Marker Number: 1159
Location: 5th & Denver Streets, Dalhart
Text: Created in 1876 and organized in 1891, Dallam County was named for Republic of Texas Attorney James W. Dallam (1818-1847). Texline, located on the line of the Fort Worth and Denver City Railroad and the only town in the county when it was organized, served as first county seat. A courthouse was built in 1891. Ten years later, when the Rock Island Railroad built a line through the county, the new town of Dalhart was established where the Rock Island and Fort Worth and Denver City rail lines crossed. The county commissioners court voted to move the county seat to Dalhart in 1903, and in May that year an election was held to approve bonds for a courthouse. County government soon outgrew the 1903 building, and in 1922 the voters approved more bonds for a new courthouse. Designed by the Amarillo architectural firm of Smith & Townes, this Classical Revival structure was completed in 1923. Built of brick with cast stone detailing, the building rises from a rusticated ground floor to more finely detailed upper stories, and features Ionic columns, curvilinear parapets, and denticulated cornice. A fine example of its style, the courthouse continues to serve the citizens of Dalhart and Dallam County. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991

Mrs. Cordia Sloan Duke

Marker Number: 3509
Marker Location: intersection of US 87 and US 385 -Dalhart
Text: (Jan. 10, 1887 - July 23, 1966) Chronicler of a unique era in the history of the Southwest. Born in Belton, Mo. At 17, taught school in Indian Territory (Okla.) In 1907, she married Robert L. Duke, a ranch hand who had risen to division manager of the XIT Ranch (then world's largest). In addition to ther own family, she "looked after" the 150 cowboys who worked the 3,000,000-acre spread. Kept a diary of everyday events in ranch life around her and successfully encouraged 81 others to do likewise. Thus was preserved an authentic account of a passing phase of American life -- the cowboy and his work. (1969)

St. James Church

Marker Number: 5035
Location:801 Denver Ave. - Dalhart
Text: Organized by 1902. Church built in 1910. Previously, congregation had worshipped in other churches, a bank, and Felton Opera House. Consecrated on January 8, 1911, in first episcopal act of the Rt. Rev. E. A. Temple, Bishop of the North Texas Missionary District. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966

Heartland of Old XIT Ranch

Marker Number: 2419
Location: at intersection of U.S. 87 & U.S. 385 -Dalhart
Text: Great Texas ranch of international fame. Payment made in an 1882 contract for the construction of granite capitol building in Austin. As contractors, some out-of-state investors (headed by the wealthy Chicago merchants, John V. and Senator C.B. Farwell) built the largest state capitol in North America and received in payment 3,000,000-acres of land. The grant, 200 miles long and of varying widths (enclosed later by a 6,000-mile barbed wire fence), extended from near site of present Lubbock to the Oklahoma line 40 miles north of here. It included land in counties of Bailey, Castro, Cochran, Dallam, Deaf Smith, Hartley, Hockley, Lamb, Oldham, and Parmer. Trail Boss Abner Blocker delivered first herd to Buffalo Springs in 1885 and scratched the "XIT" in corral dust with boot heel to design famous brand. Although its land was parcelled and sold, the XIT lives in Texas memories -especially here, 32 miles south of its Buffalo Springs headquarters. Dalhart holds an annual XIT reunion with rodeo and parade featuring a horse with an empty saddle, in honor of range riders of the past. Permanent tribute to XIT cowboys is this "empty saddle" monument, designed by western artist Bobby Dycke, dedicated in 1940. (1968)

Back to Main Page

Copyright 2005-2018 David Pitt