Background: Gorman Cemetery began as a slave cemetery. In the olden times,
the members of the Shiloh Baptist Church use to bury their dead in the Sam
Gorman Cemetery. However, often bad weather and muddy roads delayed burials
since the cemetery was a distance from the church and residents. Later the
Shiloh Baptist Church voted about 1940's to move start using a newly
donated parcel of land for the cemetery and abandon the older Gorman Cemetery.
Some of the old stones were moved from Gorman Cemetery to the Shiloh Cemetery.
Directions: Go east from Fairfield down Highway 84. Past Red Lake, turn right onto FM 489. Located on County Road that goes west from FM 489, at end of Burleson Lake Dam.
Layout: Cemetery is in very poor condition with practically no upkeep. Covers about 3 acres.
Number of Graves: Only 7-8 graves found. Many were moved to Shiloh.
Oldest Marked Grave: 17 Nov 1918 J. F. Tippen
TX Pvt Res Labor QMC WWI
|?||Feb 17, 1932|
wife of Roscoe
|Apr 2, 1902||Apr 14, 1925|
|Harris, May||Jan 22, 1872||Sept 6, 1942|
|Harris, Peter||?||Sept 17, 1943|
|Malone, Willie||Feb 19, 1890||Sept 8, 1926|
|1839||Sept 11, 1898|
|Tippin, Mr. J. F.||Apr 5, 1882||Nov 17, 1918|
|Wade, Adam||June 10, 1852||Nov 12, 1921|