Background: The Daniel Memorial Cemetery was established by Jennings Bryan
Daniel (b Dec 25, 1896, s/o Americus Lee "Meck" Daniel, m Miss Louise "Sallie"
Calame) family on the behalf of the children's home and their family. In the
J. B. bought land for Shell Oil company and eventually became the largest single land owner in the county. In 1948, Jennings built the Children's home
On the 1,142 acres of the children's home, nine buildings stand. The dormitories, administration and kitchen came from an army camp in Tyler. The rock frame buildings were covered with rock from the nearby quarry. The chapel was brought from Oklahoma. There was a barn and chicken houses. A water tower used at the Courthouse was moved and used here. On this beautiful landscape of rolling hills the largest sycamore tree of the state of Texas stands.
Eventally the children's home was renamed Pleasant Hills.
Directions: From Fairfield, take 84 east to the Butler community. Past Butler on the left off 84 is the Daniel Orphagnage. The property of the children's home is surrounded by a white iron fence. The cemetery is located on the first entrance road to the home from Fairfield.
Cemetery Description: About 50 feet square
Oldest Marked Grave: 12/18/1877
|Daniel, Rev. Howard Bryan "Sonny"
son of J. B. Daniel
Administrator of the children's home
|Sep 27, 1931||Nov 10, 1960|
|Daniel, Jennings Bryan "Uncle
hus of Louise (Calame) Daniel
|Dec 25, 1896||Dec 18, 1977|
|Daniel, Louise (Calame)
wife of Jennings Bryan Daniel
|Jan 20, 1903||May 25, 1966|
|Pollard, Martha Jean||May 21, 1947||Jan 20, 1955|
|Raffel, Miss Eleanor F.||Dec 11, 1904||May 2, 1975|
|Robinson, George Kelly||Oct 7, 1950||Mar 18, 1967|
|Toomy, Linda Sue||June 15, 1950||Jan 20, 1953|
|Turner, Shannon Dale||May 28, 1971||July 24, 1973|