Contributed by: Annette Burdett
Location: South, Southeast behind Thousand Oaks Housing Addition in Fairfield, Texas.
John Mims (Annette's great, great grandfather) purchased his first land at Fairfield, in Freestone County, in 1855, out of the Redin Gainer Survey at the southeast edge of the townsite. To this beginning of 277 acres, he added until he owned approximately 3 sections, or about 1900 acres, extending nearly to what is now the Post Oak Community Church, some 3 miles southeast of the county seat. This land was described in the deeds as "on the headwaters of Kecchi creek", but in fact today is called Mims creek.
Located on a hillside, near the northern end of the farm, now a pasture, is a small Cemetery which is grown up with very large trees inside an ornamental iron fence with no one taking care of it. One large tree has spread at the bottom and pushed the base of John Mims marker to the top, (about 4' x 10") has fallen off mounting--face up.
Oldest Grave: 9/6/1880
There is only 6 grave sites and these are for:
|Brocks, ?||1807||Dec 31, 1881|
dau of Z. T. & Mollie
|Jan 8, 1880||Apr 12, 1881|
wife of Zachary Thomas Lane
dau of John Mims
|July 24, 1850||Sept 6, 1880|
|Lane, Zachary Thomas||Jan 12, 1850||July 14, 1884|
dau of John
|Oct 4, 1845||July 11, 1892|
|Mims, John||Sept 7, 1803||Sept 13, 1887|