Dr. James Ira Dunn, Jr.


Contributed by DUSTTINK

Dr. James Ira Dunn, Jr. 1930-2003 James (Jimmy) I. Dunn, Jr. DDS died on September 21, 2003 at the age of 73. He was born in Jewett, Texas, the son of Lillian S. Dunn and the late Dr. James I. Dunn, Sr. He is survived by his wife of 50 years, Monte Seale Dunn; his two children, daughter and son-in-law Vicki and Dr. Pat McSpadden, Houston; son, James David Dunn, Houston; his two grandchildren, Patrick James McSpadden, Waco; Mary Jo McSpadden, Houston; and his 103 year old mother, Lillian S. Dunn, Houston.

Jimmy grew up in Jewett and Teague, Texas.  He attended Baylor University in 1947 but left for military service in the United states Air Force during the Korean War.  In 1953 he married Monte and returned to Baylor and completed his pre-dental studies.  He graduated in 1958 from the University of Texas Dental School, Houston and then moved to Teague to join his father's dental practice.  He practiced dentistry for 18 years.  Jimmy retired to his ranch in Jewett where he enjoyed ranching, hunting  and fishing. In 1992 he and Monte moved to Houston. He became an active member of Second Baptist Church and served there as a deacon, volunteer, and a member of the Finance and Building Committee until he became ill from esophageal and stomach cancer.

A memorial service will be held Tuesday, September 23rd in the sanctuary of Second Baptist Church, 6400 Woodway at 2:00 p.m. with a reception following in the Deacon's Parlor.  Officiating will be Dr. H. Edwin Young, Rev. John Barksdale, and Dr. Gary Moore.

Graveside services will be held at Greenwood Cemetery in Teague, Texas on Wednesday, September 24th at 2:00 p.m.

Officiating will be Rev. Edwin A. Seale, Rev. Marcus Sheffield, and Rev. Marc Wilson. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorials be made to the Winning Walk Ministry of Second Baptist Church 6400 Woodway, Houston, Texas 77057, or to Houston Hospice 8811 Gaylord, Suite 100, Houston, Texas  77024.

A special thank you to Dr. George Boutros, the Men's Prayer Team of Second Baptist, and all the friends who so faithfully prayed, visited, and called during Jimmy's illness.

Published in the Houston Chronicle from 9/22/2003 - 9/23/2003.