VIRGINIA BELL SOWELL & JOSEPH LEONARD "JOEL" BARROW
Taken about 1917
Back Row Right Counter Clockwise: Joseph Leonard Barrow; Virginia Bell Sowell Barrow; Leonard Andrew Barrow; Ethel Barrow Styles holding Bobby Styles; Louis Franklin Barrow; Mary Ethel Askins Barrow holding Aaron Lewis Barrow (wife of Louis Franklin Barrow); Nettie Barrow (wife of Leonard Andrew Barrow); Robert H. Stiles (husband of Ethel Barrow); Mary Lucinda "Lucy" Barrow Hicks; Fabian Hicks (husband of Mary Lucinda Barrow); man on end unknown.
The children from left to right are: Gladys Barrow (daughter of Leonard Andrew Barrow); Velma Lee Barrow (daughter of Leonard Andrew Barrow); H.K. Stiles (son of Robert & Ethel Barrow Stiles); Nolan Reuben Barrow (son of Louis Franklin and Mary Ethel Barrow); little boy unknown; Zelma Ruby Barrow (daughter of Louis Franklin & Mary Ethel Barrow).
Virginia Sowell, the daughter of Andrew Jackson Sowell and Lucinda Smith Turner, was born 1849 and died July 21, 1922. She married Joseph Leonard "Joel" Barrow September 14, 1886 in Guadalupe Co., TX. He was the son of Aaron Barrow. He was born April 14, 1847 in San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX and died November 21, 1916. They are both buried in the Terrace Cemetery, Garza Co., TX.
This family moved from Seguin to Dickens County in 1890. They lived and worked on the Spur Ranch until 1900 when he filed on land on the north side of Garza County. Garza County was attached to Borden County at that time.
In 1850 they lived in Liberty Co., TX but were on the 1910 Garza Co., TX census.
1. Mary Lucinda "Lucy" Barrow; she married Fabian Hicks and lived in Bandera, TX.
2. Mattie Barrow; she married a Mayes and lived in Bandera, TX
3. Minnie Barrow, born July 1883; She married a Groves and lived in Tucmcari, NM.
4. Ethel Barrow, born June 1886; she married Robert H. Stiles and lived in Amarillo, TX
5. Leonard Andrew Barrow, born Feb. 9, 1877 in Bandera Co., TX; died 1943. He married Nettie Wilks Jan. 20, 1904 in Old Emma, TX. Children were: Gladys Barrow born 1905; Velma Lee Barrow born 1907; Joe Barrow; Willie Lou Barrow married H.B. Taylor, Jr. and lived in Pampa, TX; and Evelyn Barrow married Earl Perser and lived in Snyder, TX.
6. Lewis Franklin Barrow, born Aug. 28, 1890, died May 30, 1969. He married a woman named Mary Ethel Askins. Buried Terrace Cemetery, Garza Co., TX