Texas State Archives - Land Grant Database
From McLean Papers – Robertsons Colony
Robertsons Colony – Land to Parkers
During the month of December, 1834, William H. Steele gave titles to one league of land lying within the present bounds of Robertson County to each of the following settlers: James Fisher, George Robertson, Henry Fullerton, Litsom Purdy, Hugh Henry, Jessie Webb, and Thomas J. Wootan. He gave twenty-four labors to Robert Henry, and one-fourth of a league each to John B. Webb and Andrew Webb. During the early months of 1835, previous to May 18, when Robertson's contract was again annulled, Steele issued titles for one league each to the following: Joseph Webb, William L. Moss, Henry Reed, Lavinia Robitson, Jeremiah Tinnan, Elisha Anglin, Jarrett Young, Eli Seal, Samuel White, E. L. R. Wheelock, Sarah Pillow, Silas M. Parker, T. W. Robertson, James A. Head, Jacob Prickett, Luther T. M. Plummer, Brinkley Davis, David Faulenbury, James W. Parker, Andrew Montgomery, Harmon S. Easton, Isaiah Harland, Peter Fleming, Samuel Henry, John Marlin, and Juan Vasquex.
Grants of one-fourth of a league were given to the following: Christopher C. Seal, George Ripley Wheelock, William T. Hawkins, George W. Cox, Samuel Kinney, and A. D. Eason. A few of those granted in 1835 were not in the present bounds of Robertson County, but all were within the limits of Robertson County as created in 1837. For location of grants, see map opposite this page.
Families began to make permanent settlements about 1834. Titles were issued from the little village of Viesca, and the lands selected for location were surveyed by J. B. Chance, surveyor for this district. It was necessary that these first families settle in small groups in order to protect themselves from the Indians who roamed this region. Some of the first settlements in the Nashville grant were in and around Viesca and Nashville on the west side of the river. On the east side of the river, settlements were early established between the Big and Little Brazos rivers, and on the Wheelock Prairie just above the old San Antonio road. A number of families settled to the north of these in Parker’s Fort in what is now Limestone County.