Live Oak County
TXGenWeb Project
USGenWeb

 

 

History

Since 1836 much of what is now Live Oak County had been designated part of San Patricio County.  In 1855 a group of frontiersmen gathered under a huge live oak tree at Gussettville and drew up a petition asking for a new jurisdiction be instituted for their settlements.  On February 2, 1856 the request was granted and Live Oak County was formed from San Patricio and Nueces Counties.  Later in that year county officials accepted a donation of 640 acres for the townsite of Oakville.  After the election in 1918 the county seat was moved from Oakville to George West.  George West, the county seat and largest town, is located in the south central part of the county at the intersection of U. S. highways 59 and 281.  Live Oak County is bordered by Atascosa, Bee, Duval, Jim Wells, Karnes, McMullen, & San Patricio Counties.

Source: The Handbook of Texas Online

 

History from the HandBook of Texas Online:

Live Oak County  

George West, Texas

Oakville, Texas

 




Geronimo

George W. West's Steer
Story in Corpus Christi Caller Times by Murphy Givens
January 10, 2001

 

 

 

Live Oak County Courthouse
George West, Texas
This photo is located at Ted's Texas County Courthouse Photographs

 



Return to Home of Live Oak Co., TXGenWeb

Copyright 2009 to Present  -  The TXGenWeb Project
All rights reserved. 
All information/material on this website is provided for and may be used by individuals who are researching Refugio County history or the genealogy of Refugio County residents.  The information may be freely used by non-commercial entities, libraries or genealogical societies as long as this copyright notice appears on the copied material.  Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.  The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit or commercial use.