Last Updated:

Cemeteries Site Map
Home

 

Peacock Cemetery

New Hope

This cemetery was the site of New Hope Primitive Church.  On April 10, 1855, John and Elizabeth Peacock deeded two acres to Hinton Duncan, W R Cope (lin) and Alfred Hefner as trustees for the New Hope Primitive Baptist Church for a meeting house and grave yard.  There was a stipulation that the “meeting house” could be used “also for a public school”.

There are only three marked graves but evidence of several others.  It is location on FM 3421 near Peacock Creek in a wooded area.  Many graves were later removed to the Daingerfield City Cemetery.

Peacock Creek named for William and John Peacock, neighbors to the Hefners in 1860.  All these families were in Texas before 1850.  This is private property.  Permission should be obtained before entering.  Read Feb 23, 1999 by Gerald Hammock and Charles Steger.

NAME BIRTH  DATE DEATH DATE INFORMATION
 

 

 

 

HEFNER, Sarah A

Aug 29, 1836

Mar 21, 1897

B in AL; w/o Al (fred); ch Alice, Mollie, Sarah & James

HEFNER, Alford (Alfred)

Oct 19, 1831

Aug 14, 1865

B in NC; b/o John M, Francis, James M, Mary A & Elizabeth

UNKNOWN M_______

Aug 6, 1861

Feb __?___

D age 3 yrs 22 days This hand carved native stone is broken.  There is a carved rock burb around the grave

This information was copied from the MORRIS COUNTY CEMETERY BOOK – SOUTHERN SECTION of 1999 which was Compiled by the Cass County Genealogical Society in cooperation with the Morris County Historical Commission.  

Janette Tigert Cook

janettetigertomaha@yahoo.com

January 23, 2008

 

[ Return to the Cemetery Index Page ] [ Return to the Main Morris County Page ]

Created and Maintained for the TXGenWeb Project by

Joe Reynolds

Copyright © 2014 - 2017, Larry Joe Reynolds, Mount Pleasant, Texas USA.
All Rights Reserved. Limited use rights may be granted by written or electronic permission.