Last Updated:

Rocky Branch, Texas Site Map
Home

 

Rocky Branch is on U.S. Highway 259 five miles northeast of Daingerfield in east central Morris County. It was named for the site of a sawmill and gristmill established in the late 1870s. A post office opened in 1890 and remained in operation until 1904. In 1896 the community had a population of fifty. By 1915 it had a population of 100, the sawmill operated by Nat Wright, and a general store operated by J. P. Forsyth. By the 1930s the population had declined to fifty and the businesses to two. From 1974 through 1986 the population of Rocky Branch was reported as 120. The community had two churches and a community center but no businesses. Nearby was the Primitive Baptist Church of Christ, which was organized in April 1854. The church obtained a building that year that was used as a meetinghouse and school and was still in use as a church in 1989. In 1990 the population of Rocky Branch was 135.

Cecil Harper, Jr.

Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "," The Handbook of Texas Online

(NOTE: "s.v." stands for sub verbo, "under the word.")

 

[ Return to the Main Morris County Page ]

Created and Maintained for the TXGenWeb Project by

Joe Reynolds

Copyright © 2014 - 2017, Larry Joe Reynolds, Mount Pleasant, Texas USA.
All Rights Reserved. Limited use rights may be granted by written or electronic permission.