Last Updated:

Snow Hill, Texas Site Map
Home

 

See the Snow Hill Project

(Morris and Titus counties)  Snow Hill is on the Caddo or Choctaw traces and the county line between Morris and Titus counties, six miles northwest of Daingerfield. A post office was established there in May of 1857 under the name Buchanan. In October of that year the name of the office was changed to Snow Hill. Among several businesses in the community was a bakery belonging to George W. Presley. In 1870 J. S. and Thurza Cason donated land upon which the Snow Hill Baptist Church and Pleasant Hill Academy were constructed. Snow Hill appears to have been a prosperous and growing village in the early 1870s. When construction of the East Line and Red River Railroad through western Morris County began in 1877, the line lay three miles to the south of Snow Hill. A new town, Cason, grew up on the tracks of the road. Most of Snow Hill's businesses and its post office were transferred to Cason in 1878. By the 1930s the community consisted of little more than a church and a cemetery, both of which were still extant in 1984.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Jean Connor, A Short History of Morris County (Daingerfield, Texas: Daingerfield Bicentennial Commission, 1975). Morris County Scrapbook, Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin.

Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "," The Handbook of Texas Online

(NOTE: "s.v." stands for sub verbo, "under the word.")

 

[ Return to the Main Morris County Page ]

Created and Maintained for the TXGenWeb Project by

Joe Reynolds

Copyright © 2014 - 2017, Larry Joe Reynolds, Mount Pleasant, Texas USA.
All Rights Reserved. Limited use rights may be granted by written or electronic permission.