|Cherry, James T.
CHERRY, JAMES T.
June 27, 1838 – January 15, 1905
JAMES T. CHERRY, a
leading merchant of Omaha, Morris County, Texas, was born June 27, 1838,
in Titus County, Texas, and being born on the frontier was from his
infancy reared to the life of a pioneer, enjoying none of the privileges
and luxuries of advanced civilization. He was reared in his native
county, and in his youth learned the mysteries of farming, and on
reaching manhood continued that occupation on his own account. In 1870
he moved to Morris County, and in 1885 located at Omaha, and embarked in
the mercantile business, in which he has been very successful. He
carries a good stock of general merchandise, and now has one of the best
stores in the town of Omaha. However, he still continues to superintend
the work of his farm, and also deals extensively in stock. He owns
seven thousand acres of land, three hundred acres of which are under
Mr. Cherry enlisted in
the Confederate army in 1861, in Company C, Ninth Texas infantry, and at
the battle of Shiloh was wounded in the right hip by a minie ball, and
was discharged. After his recovery he enlisted in the Twenty-ninth
Texas cavalry, and served until the final surrender. January 11, 1865,
Mr. Cherry married Esther F., daughter of D. M. Scott, of Alabama, and
to them were born three children--John M., Judson L. and Dora A. Mrs.
Cherry died, and in 1883 Mr. Cherry Married Mrs. Mary C. Coffey,
daughter of M. A. Glass, of Mississippi. They have two children--James
Mr. Cherry is a son of
J. V. and Precious (Seats) Cherry, natives of Louisiana, who moved to
Texas in 1835. The father died in 1845. They had a family of five
children--Rebecca, John, Mary A., Nancy and James T.
BIOGRAPHICAL SOUVENIR OF
THE STATE OF TEXAS, by Susan Hawkins for the Fannin County Genweb Page;
Original published book, BIOGRAPHICAL SOUVENIR ILLUSTRATED, Texas 1989,
Chicago, F. A. Battey and Company, 1989 (B Row 8)