The town of Bruni is located 42 miles east of Laredo on highway 359. A brief history of Bruni is as follows:
Bruni was officially founded in 1922 when the townsite
was surveyed and set up by C. R. Cole and Dudley
Tyng. Even though it was founded in 1922, there had been a settlement there since the 1860’s. Around 1877,
Antonio M. Bruni began a ranching operation and the little community then became known as Bruniville. An
early post office was set up around 1900. During the 1920’s the oil boom hit the area and about the same time,
Bruniville dropped the last part of its name and became known as Bruni. Bruni’s current population is
approximately 500 people.
Read more Here
Below is a list of some notable people that helped in the founding and early days of Bruni.
Los Ojuelos is located 32 miles east of Laredo on highway
359 and then south 4 miles on Texas farm road 649.
Los Ojuelos is one of the oldest settlements in this area. Only Laredo is older than this small village. A brief
history of Los Ojuelos is as follows:
Los Ojuelos was first settled by Eugenio Gutierrez who
received a land grant from the King of Spain, but he
returned to Mexico. His grand sons (Dionicio, Jose Maria and Juan Guerra) returned and settled at the same
site in 1855. The village was built at the site of several springs that provided water year round in the barren
land. The population of the village grew to approximately 400 people and from time to time served as a Texas
Ranger headquarters. In the 1860’s it was a stop for the pony express route that ran from Corpus Christi to
Los Ojuelos is currently a small ranching village with
just a few ranch workers living there permanently. Many
of the old adobe and rock building are still standing and a few of the landowners have refurbished many of the
buildings for weekend homes.
Read More Here
The town of Mirando City was founded by Oliver Winfield
Killam in 1921 as a result of the first oil field
being discovered south of San Antonio. There had never been an oil field in this area and the town grew
rapidly to accommodate the people necessary to develop the oil field. The town was made up mainly of
tents and temporary housing in the early days and was a true oil "boom town". The population quickly
grew to an estimated 12,000 people.
The oilfield by the 1930’s had spread to the surrounding
south Texas area and so did the population of
Mirando City. The population has gradually dwindled over the years to a present day population of
approximately 450 people.
Read more Here
Below is a list of some of the notable people that helped in the founding and early days of Mirando City, Texas.
Oilton is located 34 miles east of Laredo on highway 359. A brief history of Oilton is as follows:
Oilton was established in 1891 and was originally called
Torrecillas. Torrecillas is the spanish word for "little
towers" and was called this because of the rock formations that were located near the little village. In 1923 the
town’s name was changed to Oilton because of the oil discoveries in the area. The original family that settled
in the area was the Garcia family. Oilton’s current population is estimated to be about 350 people.
Read more Here
Back to Webb County