SCHOOLS
Atlanta-Miller Grade School
200 W Miller St
Atlanta
Public education in Atlanta dates to 1874. Prior to the civil rights era of
the mid-20th century, separate schools served Anglo and African American students.
The school at this site, known initially as Atlanta Grade School, was built
for white students in 1936 with federal funding through the Works Progress Administration.
Due to high enrollment, building additions were completed over the years. Known
later as Miller Grade School, the facility was integrated in 1970 and remained
in use as a public school until 1974. It was used for various services through
the 1990s. A group of citizens concerned about its preservation purchased the
building from the school district in 2001. (2006)
Pleasant Hill School
2722 Farm Rd. 1399
Linden
Black School built in 1925.
CHURCHES
Douglasville Baptist Church
Marker Location:
on SH 8, 2 blocks N of its intersection w/SH 77 (east side of road)
This church was organized in 1869 by 14 charter members and two elders. Services
of all faiths were generally held in a school building in that era. The congregation
erected its first church building in 1870 with volunteer workers. That frame
chapel with spire, once storm-damaged and rebuilt, was relocated in 1948 to
join the present building as a fellowship hall. This church has never had more
than 50 resident members, but has furnished Texas and the nation with numerous
ministers, teachers, and business leaders.
Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church
Hughes Springs
Marker Location:
4 mi E on Hwy 11, .25 mi N on CR 2921
Originally named Black Cypress Church, Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church organized
in 1861 in the community of Sardis, which was established prior to the Civil
War. At the time, Sardis was a small community with several businesses. For
much of the church’s history, members elected pastors yearly, with a number
serving multiple terms. The first recorded pastor was John Massey, elected when
the church was founded. By the 1870s, the members erected a church building.
Throughout the following decades, Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church served
as an important religious and community institution in Sardis. It continues
to meet the spiritual needs of residents in southwestern Cass County.
Law's Chapel Methodist Church
Atlanta
Marker Location
on FM 2329 about .5 mi. off US 59 about 6 mi. SW of Atlanta
First Protestant church in area. Founded in 1853 by George Law and wife Martha,
pioneers from Georgia. Members first worshipped under a brush arbor, then in
a log structure. In 1859 joined Methodist Conference, began present building
1869. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
First Baptist Church and Masonic Lodge Hall
Kildare
Marker Location:
across from FM 125/FM 248 S junction in Kildate
One of the first buildings constructed in Kildare; now the oldest existing one
n town. Erected jointly 1878 by the Baptist Church and Jim's Bayou Lodge # 491
A.F. & A.M. Builders were Skillman and Bricker. In continuous use since
1878, structure is of heart cypress, selected for extreme durability. Although
church moved in 1950's, building still serves as Lodge Hall and recreation facility.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 169
Methodist Episcopal Church of Douglasville
Douglassville
Marker Location:
on SH 8 in Douglassville, about 3 blocks N of junction SH 8/SH 77
Area Methodists established a church on this site in 1856, shortly after the
founding of Douglassville. It replaced arbors and campgrounds as the center
of worship, and was first served by circuit riders. Land was bought from Williamson
Petty by board of trustees, which included R. P. Rutland, A. H. Chappell, S.
L. Easley, J. E. Morris, W. L. and B. G. Heath, R. A. Brooks, T. J. Wilson,
and J. H. Snipes. The trustees purchased land for the parsonage in 1870. The
present building, erected in 1908, was remodeled and enlarged in 1947.
Mount Zion Baptist Church of Christ
Linden
Marker Location:
off FM 2683 on CR 1771 about 8 mi. S of Linden via US 59
The Mount Zion Baptist Church of Christ was organized in 1851 with twelve charter
members. This sanctuary, built in 1885 on land donated by Isaac and Felix Grundy
Lemmon, replaced the original 1851 log church building. Constructed of cypress
and featuring a steeply pitched roof and double entry doors, this structure
reflects a simple style typical of 19th century rural Texas churches. A historic
cemetery dating to 1864 is adjacent to the building. Recorded Texas Historic
Landmark - 1991
Smyrna Baptist Church
Marker Location:
SH 77 about 6 mi. E of Atlanta in smyrna
On August 9, 1882, ten pioneer settlers of the rural Smyrna community met to
organize this fellowship, originally known as the Smyrna Baptist Church of Christ.
The charter meeting was directed by Elder Nelson Porterfield (1816-1906), a
Georgia native and a pioneer Baptist missionary in Texas and Arkansas who served
as the first pastor. Early worship services were held in a log schoolhouse (.25
mi. SW). The first sanctuary was built west of here in 1885 on land purchased
from J. W. Hughes. In 1900 the church acquired this tract and the nearby cemetery,
the burial site of many early area pioneers. New church facilities were constructed
at this site in 1907. Later sanctuaries were completed in 1941 and 1977. Throughout
its history, the Smyrna Baptist Church has experienced steady growth under the
direction of many prominent preachers. In addition, the church has also ordained
and licensed several ministers. Since 1882 the Smyrna Baptist Church has served
as the focal point of the surrounding rural community. The church's facilities
have been used for various civic and school functions and its members, including
descendants of pioneer area residents, have played vital roles in the region's
development.
United Methodist Church of Atlanta
Atlanta
Marker Location:
701 Lindsay Lane
Atlanta
The Rev. J. Osgood organized the earliest members of the first United Methodist Church in 1873 under a brush arbor. On this site their first structure was built (1875) with an "amen corner" and a belfry on the neo-classic front. In the second church, erected in 1890, stained glass windows lit the sanctuary and a choir bay backed the pulpit. A brick edifice was erected in 1917 and dedicated in 1927 by Bishop Sam B. Hay of Houston. An education building was given as a memorial in 1938. The present church, seating 600, was built in 1953. Remodeling was carried out in 1956.
CEMETERIES
Corinth Cemetery
Linden vicinity
Marker location
6 miles north of Linden on FM 1399, then 0.7 mile east on CR 1246
This historic graveyard is associated with the Corinth Baptist Church of Almira, to whom Ephraim and Mary (Hartsfield) Watson donated four acres of land in 1876. The earliest marked burial is that of three-month-old Terrissa L. Ellington, who died in 1878. Veterans of the Civil War, World War I, World War II, Korea and Vietnam are interred here. Containing both marked and unmarked graves, the cemetery is a reflection of the heritage of this part of Cass County. At the beginning of the 21st century, the Corinth Cemetery continued in use, serving the Almira, Carterville, Floyd Hill and surrounding communities. (2001)
Cornett Cemetery
Hughes Springs
Marker Location:
on FM 250, 12 mi. N of Hughes Springs
The first burials here were in the 1850s, but the oldest legible stone marks
the grave of Mary Frances Hampton, who died Oct. 4, 1880. Robert Dunlap donated
nine acres of land to the cemetery and to adjacent Hamell's Chapel Methodist
Church. Other donors of land included G. T. Cornett and S. E. McCord, Fred and
Sallie Hall, and Mr. and Mrs. Jonas Trumble. Known by several names during its
history, the community burial ground was renamed "Cornett" after Cornett
Post Office was established in 1901. The cemetery contains about 295 marked
and 110 unmarked graves.
Dennis Cemetery
Hughes Springs
Marker Location:
5 mi. N of Hughes Springs on FM 250, then 2 mi. E on FM 130, then left on CR
2929, right on CR 2930
Allen and Eliza Ann Dennis and their family were among the earliest settlers
of this part of Cass County. In 1856 they purchased the land surrounding this
site. Eliza Ann Dennis died on January 27, 1873, and was buried on the family
farm. Allen Dennis died in 1880 and was interred next to his wife. The land
surrounding their graves became a family cemetery, which was later enlarged
by a contribution of land from the E. G. Smith family. Among the over three
hundred burials in the Dennis Cemetery are those of many Cass County pioneers,
including members of the Smith, Baughmon, Mason, Bufford, Stiles, and Nelson
families. The graveyard also contains a number of unmarked burials. The Dennis
Cemetery first appeared in county deed records in 1878, when the Dennis family
sold the property to d. W. Webb. The two-acre plot was reserved for burial purposes,
and in a later deed in 1890 it was referred to as the Dennis Graveyard. The
Dennis Cemetery serves as a physical reminder of early settlement in Cass County.
Still a community burial place, it is maintained by a cemetery association formed
in 1976.
Douglasville Cemetery
Douglasville
Marker Location:
SH 8
Williamson Petty (1820-61), Sulphur River ferryman, donated land for this cemetery
from a claim which he settled in 1850. Col. John C. Douglass (1818-63), from
Georgia, bought in 1855 all of the Petty claim not previously reserved for school
and church. The cemetery took its name from his town of Douglassville. The earliest
legible stone (1859) marks the grave site of Mrs. Henrietta Cook and her infant
twins. Additional land was acquired in 1928 and 1939. The cemetery has about
400 graves and a governing association.
Floyds' Hill Church- Cemetery
Linden
Marker Location:
13.5 mi. NW of Linden, off Old Cussetta-Linden Rd., via SH 8 and FM 995
On Oct. 9, 1854, Killis S. Floyd donated a four-acre tract to three trustees
of the Missionary Baptist Church, afterwards known as Floyds' Hill Church. The
Rev. John Massey and the Rev. C. G. Stephens organized the congregation on Dec.
10, 1854, with 15 charter members. Worship services were held at the Frifogle
house, former home of a pioneer family, until a log church was completed in
1855. About 1858 the log building was replaced by a one-room frame structure,
erected with the help of slave labor. Blacks worshiped here until Floyd gave
land for a separate black church. The adjacent Floyds' Hill Cemetery, which
contains about 200 known graves, served the pioneer families who migrated to
this locality from Alabama and Georgia in the 1850s. The oldest stone marks
the grave of Mary Bryan (1850-1858). The farming community of Floyds' Hill declined
after World War I, and regular church services ended in 1926. When a storm damaged
the church building in 1932, volunteers erected a new frame structure on the
original foundation. Floyds' Hill Church - Cemetery Association, established
in 1948, sponsors an annual homecoming for descendants of early settlers.
Harris Chapel Cemetery
Hughes Springs
Marker Location:
about 5 mi. S of Hughes Springs on FM 161
This area of Cass County was settled in the 1850s. The rural community became
known as Harris Chapel after John T. Harris and his family came to the area
in 1853 and purchased land on which a Methodist log church and cemetery were
located. The church building was also used as a schoolhouse for area children.
The first log church was replaced by a larger wooden structure near the cemetery
in 1859. The Rev. Solomon O'Dell preached the first sermon in the new church.
Although there are many unmarked graves in the Harris Chapel Cemetery, some
of which may date from an earlier period, the oldest legible tombstone marks
the grave of Zelpha E. conley (1839-1859). In 1868 M. g. Harris, son of John
T. Harris, deeded the church and cemetery property to the community. Harris
family graves are enclosed by a wrought iron fence. The second church was destroyed
by a tornado in 1949 and was replaced by a brick structure in 1953. In addition
to the graves of many early pioneers, those interred here include veterans of
the Mexican War, the Civil War, World War I, World War II, and Korea. The historic
Harris Chapel Cemetery serves as a reminder of early rural life in Cass County.
John Robin Heard
Linden
Marker Location:
Heard Cemetery on local road off SH 77, about 10 mi. NW of Linden
(1794-1866) A descendant of settlers who came to America in 1720 from County
Tyrone, Ireland, John Robin Heard was born in Georgia and moved to Texas in
1853. He founded the nearby town of Cussetta and acquired large landholdings
in this area. In 1861 he donated property for this cemetery. His home stood
near this site until the 1940s. Heard's first wife was Martha Hopkins. After
her death, he married her sister, Mary Hopkins. From the two marriages, he had
12 children.
John Robin Heard Cemetery
Douglasville
Marker Location:
on SH 77, about 10 mi. NW of Linden, about 6 mi. W of Douglassville
First burial occurred in 1861 after the death of Cornelius Floyd (b. 1859),
Heard's grandson. The 23 graves include those of Heard and his second wife,
Mary Hopkins Heard (1806-1863). The cemetery fence was provided by another of
Heard's grandsons, W. Q. Henderson (1858-1934). Descendants formed a cemetery
association in 1974 and organized a perpetual care trust fund.
Hickory Grove Cemetery
Linden
Marker Location:
about 10 mi. NW of Linden on FM 995
On Oct. 15, 1872, the Rev. James A. Steger (1831-1902) deeded this site to trustees
of the Hickory Grove Methodist Church for use as a community burial ground.
Steger, a Civil War veteran, may have used it as a family cemetery before that
date. The Methodist sanctuary was located north of the cemetery and a later
building, at the northwest corner, was used for funerals and school classes.
The church eventually disbanded, but this cemetery, the burial place of several
pioneer families, remains as evidence of the area's early settlement. Texas
Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Old Liberty Cemetery and site of Old Enon Primitive Baptist Church
Queen City
Marker Location:
7.6 mi. W of US 59 at Queen City
Enon Primitive Baptist Church was organized near Old Havana on June 7, 1845.
Like many new churches of its day, this one met in members' homes, schools,
and brush arbors. In 1861, Anderson Miles deeded four acres of land on this
site to church trustees W. Griffin, W. Burkhalter, and W. Knight. Here the congregation
erected a wood frame building on the east side of what may have been an existing
cemetery. The oldest marked gave in Old Liberty Cemetery is that of William
Hill (1790-1850) of Tennessee. There are approximately 200 marked graves in
the cemetery; the same number is estimated for unmarked graves. Many graves
are indicated only by piles of rocks. Oral legend suggests that the northwest
corner of the cemetery was set aside for slaves, possibly black members of the
church. Records dating from the Civil War show at least two black members. The
Baptist congregation moved to Queen City, probably in the 1880s. A Pentecostal
group occupied the building for several years; the structure was torn down in
the 1940s. Veterans, both men and women, of six wars are interred in this cemetery:
The War of 1812, the Blackhawk War, the Civil War, the Spanish American War
and World Wars I and II. (1997)
Mount Zion Baptist Church of Christ Cemetery
Linden
Marker Location:
off FM 2683 on CR 1771 about 8 mi. S of Linden via US 59
The Mount Zion Baptist Church of Christ was organized in 1851 with twelve charter
members. This sanctuary, built in 1885 on land donated by Isaac and Felix Grundy
Lemmon, replaced the original 1851 log church building. Constructed of cypress
and featuring a steeply pitched roof and double entry doors, this structure
reflects a simple style typical of 19th century rural Texas churches. A historic
cemetery dating to 1864 is adjacent to the building. Recorded Texas Historic
Landmark - 1991
Smyrna Baptist Church Cemetery
Marker Location:
SH 77 about 6 mi. E of Atlanta in smyrna
On August 9, 1882, ten pioneer settlers of the rural Smyrna community met to
organize this fellowship, originally known as the Smyrna Baptist Church of Christ.
The charter meeting was directed by Elder Nelson Porterfield (1816-1906), a
Georgia native and a pioneer Baptist missionary in Texas and Arkansas who served
as the first pastor. Early worship services were held in a log schoolhouse (.25
mi. SW). The first sanctuary was built west of here in 1885 on land purchased
from J. W. Hughes. In 1900 the church acquired this tract and the nearby cemetery,
the burial site of many early area pioneers. New church facilities were constructed
at this site in 1907. Later sanctuaries were completed in 1941 and 1977. Throughout
its history, the Smyrna Baptist Church has experienced steady growth under the
direction of many prominent preachers. In addition, the church has also ordained
and licensed several ministers. Since 1882 the Smyrna Baptist Church has served
as the focal point of the surrounding rural community. The church's facilities
have been used for various civic and school functions and its members, including
descendants of pioneer area residents, have played vital roles in the region's
development.
Whittaker Memorial Cemetery
Kildare
Marker Location:
on FM 248, about 3 mi. S. of Kildare
This African American cemetery was once part of a large plantation owned by
South Carolina native Willis Whitaker (Whittaker), who came to Texas in 1840
with his family and more than 50 slaves. Whitaker had acquired nearly 3000 acres
by 1850; a six-acre tract of land was given as a cemetery for the slaves of
the plantation. Those buried here were slaves, freed African Americans, and
their descendants. The earliest graves may be those of seven Freemen killed
on the plantation in 1868. An epidemic of malaria in 1896 claimed many lives,
as did the diseases of smallpox and tuberculosis. It is believed that some of
these victims were transported to the cemetery for mass burial. Natural disasters
also took their toll; eight members of one family were killed in a wind storm
in 1900. Many people were buried in unmarked graves, while others received makeshift
markers and rocks as tombstones. Family members placed new headstones to replace
some broken or illegible markers. Documented burials number more than 350, including
educators, businessmen, and veterans. This cemetery is still in use by citizens
of the area, as well as many former residents who are returned here to be buried.