More about the history of the First United Methodist Church of Crane.
When the Rev. Bob Tomlinson was pastor he dreamed up a chuck wagon meal for the Methodist Men's Organization.
He borrowed P. O. Vines' authentic old chuck wagon.
One of the Plummer boys, who was a chuck wagon cook deluxe, volunteered to do the cooking. Once a month he built a fire on the churchyard and backed the chuck wagon in.
He cooked on the fire on the ground using cast-iron skillets, Dutch ovens and big pots. Some of these were hung on a steel rod over the fire. His sourdough biscuits, beef, beans and gravy were out of this world. In fact, they were too good.
Our attendance jumped radically from about 20 to over 100 and he had to quit. How would you like to cook for a hundred plus hungry men on an open fire.
The first Parsonage was located in the 1000 block of South Sue Street, the house still stands today.
Magnolia Oil Co. had a house next to the church for their superintendent. This house was bought by the church and used as a parsonage for awhile and then moved out.